How to make basic Japanese curry
【Ingredients for four】
400g chopped beef
1 carrot, diced
1 medium potatoes , diced
2 medium onions, diced (or cut as per personal preference)
(If you have time, stir-fry the onions until they become brown.)
Add some chocolate to make it rich and mild.
Add some red wine to give it a richer taste.
Add grated apple, or extra onion or carrot. Also honey and Worcestershire sauce are popular secret ingredients that make the curry sweet and mild.
Fry garlic with the vegetables and meat.
- Cut the vegetables and meat to the desired size.
- In a large pot, heat 2 Tbsp. of vegetable oil. Sauté/a> vegetables and meat.
- Cook the meat until it is no longer pink, and the vegetables until they become slightly transparent. Add water depending on the amount and kind of curry roux.
- Bring to the boil, and simmer for 30 minutes on a low to medium heat.
(If you use a pressure cooker, it’ll take less time and have a stronger flavor.)
- Crumble the curry roux into the pan. Stir it well and simmer for 15 minutes or so.
- Serve it alongside steamed rice, and garnish with pickles. If you leave it overnight, it’ll be even tastier!